Newcomb Hall Renovation
Washington and Lee University,
NEWCOMB HALL is the westernmost of five buildings comprising the Colonnade that forms the heart of the Washington and Lee University (W&L) campus. As part of the Colonnade, the building is historically significant and, among other distinctions, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) was commissioned to renovate the original three-story academic building (c. 1882) to the south and the three-level addition with mezzanine and two story wings (c. 1937) to the north. During the programming phase, G&HA was charged with determining the capacity of the existing building and optimizing office and administrative spaces for various departments to allow for future flexibility and growth.
G&HA preserved most of the historic fabric of the existing building. The character and style was maintained on the exterior, while the interiors were upgraded to current standards within the limits of preserving and maintaining the historic integrity of the individual spaces and of the building as a whole. As a result, the interior spaces provide a warm and inviting academic environment with ample opportunity for casual interaction between students, faculty, and staff.
The project has achieved LEED Silver Certification, the first for the W&L. It also received historic tax credits through the Commonwealth’s tax credit program.