Tucker Hall Renovation
Washington and Lee University,
TUCKER HALL is the easternmost of five buildings of the Colonnade at Washington and Lee University. The building was constructed in 1935 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building in the Washington and Lee Historic District. The building underwent a significant renovation in the early 1980’s when a new floor level for the University’s computing center was inserted in the original two-story law library space.
Glavé & Holmes’ scope included a complete interior rehabilitation of the building and re-establishing portions of the ornate two-story law library space. The non-historic sections of the second floor inserted in the 1980’s were completely removed with the original two-story volume space restored. The space was sub-divided to create a great hall and two classrooms. The historical pediment and pilasters were relocated to allow for a new elevator to provide handicap accessibility to all levels in the building. Tucker Hall houses offices for several departments in the University’s humanities curriculum, as well as conference, meeting, and seminar rooms, a kitchenette, lounges, and storage. The exterior work included minor repair of the existing fabric, and a new entry and stairway will be added over the areaway to the great hall from Stemmons plaza on the north side of the building.