Virginia General Assembly Building

Glavé & Holmes Architecture, Associate Architect, and Robert A.M. Stern Architects, Lead Architect, served as the design team for Virginia’s new General Assembly Building, a new 415,000 sf facility located on Richmond’s historic Capitol Square. As the first purpose-built facility for the General Assembly since Thomas Jefferson’s Capitol, the building houses individual offices for the 140 legislators, offices for legislative staff, public meeting rooms, a cafeteria, and other administrative spaces to support the General Assembly. Replacing an existing collection of buildings assembled over time, the new facility retains the southern and eastern facades of the historic Life Insurance Company of Virginia headquarters, repurposing the handsome classical composition and using its form to regulate the design of the new and contextually sensitive components, resulting in a proper home for the General Assembly on Capitol Square.

Glavé & Holmes (G&H) was responsible for the architectural interiors and interior design of floors four through fourteen, which accommodate the offices for the legislators, staff, and leadership of the General Assembly. A critical part of this project involved coordination of move management to ensure that proper swing space was available for the General Assembly during construction of the new building. While planning was underway for the new building, G&H designed the renovation of the nearby Pocahontas Building to serve as the temporary swing space. The G&H team then managed the logistics of displacing and relocating building tenants twice during the project – first into the Pocahontas Building and then to the new building, once complete. G&H coordinated fixtures, furnishings, and equipment installation for the Pocahontas building, as well as for the new General Assembly Building.

Reids’s Row Renovation

REID’S ROW is one of the earliest examples of Italianate architecture in Richmond, Virginia. The three bow front townhouses are located at 219-223 Governor Street near Richmond’s Capitol Square. The property, constructed in 1853 and designed by James Morson as a rental property, is now largely vacant. Reid’s Row is the only remaining evidence of the residential neighborhood that once surrounded Capitol Square and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The buildings have received various upgrades and general refurbishment; however, they have deteriorated significantly since vacancy.

The Department of General Services hired G&HA for the renovation and adaptive reuse of Reid’s Row. G&HA began the process with a historic assessment, which will help guide the careful repairs and upgrades to the historic property. The three buildings have a total floor area of approximately 24,000 square feet, which is split over four stories. One challenge has been determining how to provide accessible circulation between each building. The design team is working to strategically insert a new circulation spine and tower that will provide an accessible route to each floor. The renovated facility will provide offices and various spaces for use by the state government.

Charlotte County Courthouse

THE CHARLOTTE COURT HOUSE DISTRICT is a national historic district located at the heart of the town of Charlotte Court House, the county seat of Charlotte County, Virginia. Since the early 1800s, this square has housed the County’s judicial system. The proceedings of these courts are housed in various historic buildings on the square, the paramount being the 1823 courthouse designed by Thomas Jefferson.

Following a feasibility study completed by Glavé & Holmes, the Circuit Court declared that a new courthouse be built to bring together the various courts and associated services housed in multiple buildings. The new courthouse is adjacent to the existing Clerk’s Office and across the public square from the historic Charlotte County Courthouse.

The 29,000 sf structure consists of two above grade floors and one partially below grade level. An enclosed pedestrian walkway connects the new courthouse to the existing Circuit Court Clerk, allowing secure public circulation from one security screening entrance. The courtroom and related spaces are located on grade and upper levels, while the lower level space includes holding cells, the sally port, and secure parking.

Fort Monroe Visitor and Education Center

FORT MONROE is a National Monument managed by the Fort Monroe Authority (FMA) in collaboration with the National Park Service (NPS). Glavé & Holmes Architecture completed the conversion of Building 138 at Fort Monroe into a new Visitor Center. Building 138, also known as Wisser Hall, was originally built in 1909 as a military library and is a contributing structure to the Fort Monroe National Historic Landmark District.

This project is a unique example of a State and Federal collaboration at this significant historic site. The Visitor Center welcomes visitors to Fort Monroe and orients them to the significant history of this property in addition to providing a welcome center for NPS staff to greet visitors to the National Monument. As a key component of the new permanent exhibit, this building tells the story of the arrival of the first African slaves in the continental U.S. to the site of Fort Monroe (Point Comfort) in 1619 and connects that story to the “Contraband of War” decision in 1861 that eventually led approximately 10,000 enslaved people to obtain their emancipation at Fort Monroe. The visitor center builds upon the additional historical exhibits in the Casemate Museum and entices visitors to the museum using the postern gate into the original masonry Fort. The new Visitor Center contains visitor facilities, a staffed visitor desk, exhibits, classrooms and archival storage space.  A new addition makes the building fully accessible, by adding a new elevator and grade level entry for visitors.

Riverwalk Landing

GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) was chosen by York County as part of a design-build team to assist with the master plan for a new commercial center along the York River in historic Yorktown. A key component of the plan was a structural parking terrace. G&HA designed the 263-car parking structure to blend with the charming scale of the waterfront houses and new waterfront boutiques. In addition to the contextual design, the parking terrace serves as a gateway from the Colonial Parkway into Historical Yorktown. The parking terrace sits into the hillside to minimize the physical scale of the building and to take advantage of the natural contours, which enable people and cars to access the second level of the deck without an internal ramp. A stairtower at the corner and carefully detailed brickwork help decrease the overall scale of the facility and provide an appropriate backdrop to the village-like setting of Riverwalk Landing’s Town Center.

A secondary component of the plan incudes a small gatehouse that welcomes visitors arriving by boat to Riverwalk Landing. This simple pavilion acts as a lighthouse and gateway for all who come and go to Yorktown by way of watercraft.

Prince George Parking Deck

GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) was selected by the City of Williamsburg to design a new 362-car structured parking garage one block north of Duke of Gloucester Street in Colonial Williamsburg’s Merchants Square. Declaring the G&HA preliminary designs to be “beautiful and appropriate” for this controversial project, the City Council unanimously approved the G&HA proposal.

The parking garage is designed as a series of distinct pavilions that provide passersby with the illusion of a much smaller building. Additionally, existing buildings frame attractive views to these pavilions in a manner similar to that of Colonial Williamsburg’s historic streetscape. The Prince George Parking Garage was constructed in cooperation with the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Fredericksburg Courthouse

THE CITY OF FREDERICKSBURG embarked upon a major planning effort for a new court facility to be situated in the city’s historic district. City officials elected to solicit proposals under the auspices of the Public Private Education Facilities and Infrastructure Act (PPEA) for the new courthouse. The proposal submitted by FirstChoice Public-Private Partners, an entity that included English Construction, Moseley Architects, and Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA), was awarded the contract. The resulting project was implemented in phases to comprehensively address the conceptual design, master planning, and the functional needs of the new 78,500-square-foot courthouse.

Glavé & Holmes, as a consultant to Moseley Architects, was responsible for designing the exterior for the main courthouse building, which occupies a prominent downtown site. The design, including the building’s signature cupola, draws from local and historic architecture to be contextually appropriate in Fredericksburg’s Historic District. The building is four levels and houses the city’s Circuit Court and General District Court, with associated support functions. A secure, enclosed parking area is located in the basement level.