GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE renovated the nearly 70,000 sf building that previously housed the Rockingham Memorial Hospital Cancer Center, for use as a new Admissions Office for James Madison University. The building was constructed in 1989 as a clinical annex to the hospital. The project consisted of a full interior renovation as well as restorative work to the exterior envelope. Additionally, a new colonnade with a tower and a pavilion was provided to create a welcoming entry to the building.
The renovated facility houses the Admissions Office, the Center for Assessment and Research Studies, the Graduate School and the Office of International Programs. The conversion of the previous nuclear medicine area provided a nuclear laboratory for the Physics department. The new design provides faculty and staff offices, meeting rooms, small scale academic spaces, and other mixed uses serving the needs of the University.
FORT MONROE is a National Monument managed by the Fort Monroe Authority (FMA) in collaboration with the National Park Service (NPS). Glavé & Holmes Architecture recently completed the conversion of Building 138 at Fort Monroe into a new Visitor Center. Building 138, also known as Wisser Hall, was originally built in 1909 as a military library and is a contributing structure to the Fort Monroe National Historic Landmark District.
This project is a unique example of a State and Federal collaboration at this significant historic site. The Visitor Center welcomes visitors to Fort Monroe and orients them to the significant history of this property in addition to providing a welcome center for NPS staff to greet visitors to the National Monument. As a key component of the new permanent exhibit, this building tells the story of the arrival of the first African slaves in the continental U.S. to the site of Fort Monroe (Point Comfort) in 1619 and connects that story to the “Contraband of War” decision in 1861 that eventually led approximately 10,000 enslaved people to obtain their emancipation at Fort Monroe. The visitor center builds upon the additional historical exhibits in the Casemate Museum and entices visitors to the museum using the postern gate into the original masonry Fort. The new Visitor Center contains visitor facilities, a staffed visitor desk, exhibits, classrooms and archival storage space. A new addition makes the building fully accessible, by adding a new elevator and grade level entry for visitors.
THE WILLIAM SMITH MORTON LIBRARY at the Union Presbyterian Seminary was created from the shell of Shauffler Hall, a castellated, Gothic-revival former chapel and classroom building, which was built in 1922 and designed by Baskervill and Son. Neo-Gothic architecture ties all of the buildings on this small campus together. Challenges included integrating new and old into a unified whole with a dramatic four-story atrium; cloaking new and flexible telecommunications technologies in comfortable and well-appointed reading rooms and study spaces; and creating a new scholastic center for the campus.
To accommodate the new library, the existing building was transformed into a larger structure encircling a light-filled atrium naturally lit by groin-vaulted louvers. The building has four levels and houses general collections, a variety of open and private study areas, a media resources library for audio and video collections, computerized automation areas, a children’s library, and technical and administrative offices.
Throughout the library, Christian and literary iconography are incorporated in the design of lamps, carpets, furnishings, and building elements.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) was commissioned to adapt and reuse the former Rockefeller Folk Art Museum into a new spa and fitness center to serve the Williamsburg Inn and the Williamsburg Lodge. Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s goal to provide and enhance amenities in this vintage two-building complex serves the needs of tourists and business travelers. Extensive interior renovations were required to convert these structures into a 4-star luxury spa. Working in conjunction with WTS International Spa Consultants, the new spa includes 12 treatment rooms, expansive wet room amenities in all locker rooms, a salon, and fitness areas for equipment and group fitness. An existing sunken garden, pool, and other surrounding elements were incorporated into this renovation.
ORIGINALLY DESIGNED in 1903 by Philadelphia architect Charles Barton Keene, Montalto was adapted and expanded by Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) to provide multiple new functions including a meeting space, teleconferencing center, accommodations for visiting dignitaries, and an event space. The new facility has become the “upper campus” for the Monticello property; it houses the executive Board Room for the Thomas Jefferson Foundation and creates a world-class extension of the Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies.
To achieve the ambitious program, Montalto underwent a complete restoration of the interior and exterior and now features the design of two sympathetic additions. The front façade, restored to its historic appearance, showcases the distinctive Ludowici tile roof in its original color, restoration of the original stone masonry, and rehabilitation of
the original historic windows. An entirely new landscape design
has been incorporated to provide parking, outdoor terraces, and event space that blends into the natural splendor of the hilltop site overlooking Charlottesville. A state-of-the-art catering kitchen avails the center to be used for events, lectures, and weddings. New infrastructure and technology systems and the interior design and selection of all furniture, fixtures, and equipment complete the scope.
The project achieved LEED-Silver certification.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) renovated and altered the former Old Bookstore at the College of William & Mary to serve as the new location for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This office serves as the “front door” to the university, introducing prospective students and their parents to the College. The design includes a 300-seat sessions room to facilitate the orientation process, conference rooms, offices, and administrative support spaces. The design respects the architectural and cultural context of the College, while also effectively communicating that the College is progressively prepared to meet the challenges and expectations of education in the twenty-first century.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) served as the museum consultant and design architect for the Mississippi Museum of Art (MMA). The museum wished to become a demonstrable leader in the international trend of museums becoming more accessible, participatory, and relevant in their communities. The new building, in accord with the MMA’s commitment to community interaction and personal experience, serves as a model for mid-sized museums whose architecture embodies their mission to engage the community in and through the visual arts.
The result includes new exhibit areas, gift shop, a café, studio school, collections area, and administrative spaces. From jazz programs in the café to performances and presentations in the galleries and the sculpture garden, the MMA attracts people to downtown Jackson and plays a vital role in its revitalization.
The Mississippi Museum of Art was designed in association with Madge Bemiss Architect of Richmond, Virginia, and Dale and Associates of Jackson, Mississippi.
THE ORIGINAL 1897 Spence Hall at Union Presbyterian Seminary’s Richmond campus was expanded in 1940 and 1970 and housed the campus library until 1997 when the library holdings were relocated to the then new William Smith Morton Library. In 2000, Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) was commissioned to rehabilitate the vacant Spence Hall building into a state-of-the-art facility for teaching and worship.
The G&HA design and plan left the exterior façade substantially unaltered, whereas the interior spaces feature a contemporary style with cantilevered floors and moveable walls to create maximum flexibility. The eight stories of the 1970s, self-supporting stacks were removed and the resulting awe-inspiring volume—now a 40ft x 40ft x 40ft worship and teaching space—is infused with daylight filtering through the existing windows.
The use of glass walls at the galleries and retention of original, decorative cast iron columns recreates the spatial experience of the historically significant 1897 building. A multi-media conference room and gallery of faculty offices are included within the original two-story library and reading room.
Other areas of the building are rehabilitated to provide state-of-the-art classrooms, offices, and building support facilities. Lecterns, a baptismal font, and altar table were custom designed for the project.
THE RESTORATION AND SITE DESIGN for this project converted a c.1897 Victorian residence, the home of Alexander Black, into a museum, gallery, and meeting facility. The new center serves to narrate the story of Blacksburg and functions as a community gathering place. Alexander Black was a prominent businessman, founder of the National Bank of Blacksburg, and the grandson of the founder of Blacksburg. To prevent its destruction resulting from development activity on Main Street, the Alexander Black house was acquired by the town in 2002 and moved to its current location.
Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) restored the exterior of the building to its late-nineteenth-century appearance and made necessary modifications and additions to the structure to provide for its new function as a museum and cultural center. The general design approach was to preserve historic fabric wherever possible. Interior reconfiguration of the original core was minimized, historically inappropriate modifications were removed, and a new contractual rear addition was constructed to provide for accessibility and egress to and from the two principal floors. Archival photographs, research, and data were used to determine the historic qualities and original existing materials were utilized as were feasible. The Town of Blacksburg successfully merged its resources with a private non-profit foundation to preserve a piece of local heritage for the community. The resulting project is pursuing LEED-Silver certification and is an excellent example of a public-private partnership.
9WG STUDIO realizes a vision for a vital, collaborative, and creative environment for media production. The owners, Jody Boyd (Red Amp Audio), Marna Bales (9WG Manager), and Melanie Cox (Spang TV) discovered the ideal location, 9 West Grace Street, in the urban core of Richmond. Originally an appliance showroom and more recently a photography studio, the space featured a double-height ceiling that provides the perfect scenario for Red Amp Audio’s tracking room. Working in concert with nonzero/architecture’s Peter Grueneisen, a specialist in recording studio design, Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) worked with the clients to convert the remainder of the ground floor into a media complex, including an isolation booth, editing suites, and a photography “cyc” wall for photo and video shoots.
Canted, non-parallel walls and the rich textures of acoustical surfaces are fundamental elements for recording and editing spaces. Drawing from these functional cues, G&HA expanded the finish palette with vibrant colors and warm materials to complement the raw brick of the existing shell. Each of the spaces is carefully crafted to its intended function and fit together in the plan like a puzzle, all the while maximizing flexibility and efficiency. The result is a stimulating environment that supports the creative work of the studio spaces as well as the revitalization of the Grace Street corridor.