CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT UNIVERSITY (CNU) hired Glavé & Holmes to design a new Fine Arts Center adjacent to their Ferguson Center for the Arts. The three-story, 82,000 plus-square-foot center will house gallery and programming space for CNU’s fine arts program. The space will also be the new home for Newport News’ Peninsula Fine Arts Center, which will become part of CNU at the building’s completion and will take on a new name. The colonnade, which lines the front of the Ferguson Center, will be extended across the front side of the new building.
The highlight of the building features three tall, staggered glass domes, while the rest of the design fits contextually with the rest of the campus. The first floor houses an art history lecture hall, museum shop, a hands-on gallery, and studios for 3-D art disciplines. Part of the space between the new building and the Ferguson Center will be an outdoor museum space. The museum’s large gallery, the walls of which are two stories high, takes up most of the second and third floors. Moveable walls and structures will allow the space to be configured to display each exhibit. The second floor will also contain galleries for student work, classroom and lab spaces, including a dark room, photo lab, light lab, and digital art studios. The third floor will include drawing and painting studios, as well as studios only for upperclassmen. A cafe will provide food near the outdoor terraces overlooking the entryway.
THE CHARLOTTE COURT HOUSE DISTRICT is a national historic district located at the heart of the town of Charlotte Court House, the county seat of Charlotte County, Virginia. Since the early 1800s, this square has housed the County’s judicial system. The proceedings of these courts are housed in various historic buildings on the square, the paramount being the 1823 courthouse designed by Thomas Jefferson.
Following a feasibility study completed by Glavé & Holmes, the Circuit Court declared that a new courthouse be built to bring together the various courts and associated services housed in multiple buildings. The new courthouse is adjacent to the existing Clerk’s Office and across the public square from the historic Charlotte County Courthouse.
The 29,000 sf structure consists of two above grade floors and one partially below grade level. An enclosed pedestrian walkway connects the new courthouse to the existing Circuit Court Clerk, allowing secure public circulation from one security screening entrance. The courtroom and related spaces are located on grade and upper levels, while the lower level space includes holding cells, the sally port, and secure parking.
THE SCOTT HOUSE is one of Richmond’s most significant examples of American Renaissance architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was completed in 1911 and acquired by Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in 2001. The 18,000-square-foot mansion was built for Frederic William Scott and his wife Elizabeth Strother Scott. It was modeled after the Marble House in Newport, Rhode Island, which referenced the Petit Trianon at Versailles. Interior plasterwork is attributed to prominent sculptor and plaster contractor, Ferruccio Legnaioli.
VCU commissioned Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) to provide a feasibility study to assess existing conditions, programming, and conceptual design. Subsequently, G&HA was selected to provide a historically-sensitive rehabilitation to allow the building to serve as meeting and event space for visiting and University groups.
Goals for rehabilitation the Scott House included restoration of the exterior masonry and windows; upgraded mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems; and new restrooms, office space and meeting rooms. While the rehabilitation will serve a variety of modern programmatic functions, the building’s historic fabric was restored in accordance with the Secretaty of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation and the University’s preservation philosophy for historic buildings.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE renovated the nearly 70,000 sf building that previously housed the Rockingham Memorial Hospital Cancer Center, for use as a new Admissions Office for James Madison University. The building was constructed in 1989 as a clinical annex to the hospital. The project consisted of a full interior renovation as well as restorative work to the exterior envelope. Additionally, a new colonnade with a tower and a pavilion was provided to create a welcoming entry to the building.
The renovated facility houses the Admissions Office, the Center for Assessment and Research Studies, the Graduate School and the Office of International Programs. The conversion of the previous nuclear medicine area provided a nuclear laboratory for the Physics department. The new design provides faculty and staff offices, meeting rooms, small scale academic spaces, and other mixed uses serving the needs of the University.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) adapted the former Rugby Road Administration Building, now O’Neil Hall, for new use as office space for senior administrative staff and other administrative functions. Originally constructed in 1924 for faculty housing, this historically significant structure is an example of the Jeffersonian classicism prominent during the early-twentieth century. O’Neil Hall is in a prominent location, offering views of the nearby mountains, and has a deep setback that provides for a gracious entrance. Goals for this project included preserving the historic and architectural significance and restoring the facility’s aesthetic, while upgrading the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. This project was completed in compliance with Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation and has achieved LEED Silver certification.
PAYNE HALL (c. 1831), Washington Hall (c. 1824), and Robinson Hall (c. 1841) now known as Chavis Hall, are National Historic Landmarks and are at the center of the W&L National Register Historic District. They are the most historically significant buildings on campus. G&HA was commissioned to lead the design for a complete rehabilitation of all three buildings.
G&HA worked with the University to optimize use of space for faculty offices, work rooms, classroom space, and administrative offices, including the office of the President and executive staff. In addition to academic space, G&HA participated in the creation of an exhibition, which tells the story of George Washington’s role as a major early benefactor of the university.
G&HA followed the guidelines from the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation to preserve the major character and defining features in each building while upgrading all the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and life safety systems throughout. The interior environment was also significantly refreshed, creating a pleasant environment for students, faculty, and staff. The project received LEED Silver Certification and historic tax credits through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s tax credit program.
The Brody Jewish Center is a Hillel House located in the Rugby Road-University Corner historical district near the University of Virginia grounds. It was founded in 1941 and provides social programs, community service opportunities, educational seminars, and religious offerings for the University’s Jewish students. The historic building, named the Larry W. Berman Student Center, was originally a residence built in 1913-14 with an addition later built in 2011. Glavé & Holmes Architecture and Martin Horn were engaged to renovate a portion of the existing facility and provide improvements to the surrounding site.
The house was renovated to accommodate the current staff in a more functional office setting, attract students for studying and socializing, and increase student and staff interaction. The design is in compliance with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards and is expected to receive state historic tax credits.
NEWCOMB HALL is the westernmost of five buildings comprising the Colonnade that forms the heart of the Washington and Lee University (W&L) campus. As part of the Colonnade, the building is historically significant and, among other distinctions, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) was commissioned to renovate the original three-story academic building (c. 1882) to the south and the three-level addition with mezzanine and two story wings (c. 1937) to the north. During the programming phase, G&HA was charged with determining the capacity of the existing building and optimizing office and administrative spaces for various departments to allow for future flexibility and growth.
G&HA preserved most of the historic fabric of the existing building. The character and style was maintained on the exterior, while the interiors were upgraded to current standards within the limits of preserving and maintaining the historic integrity of the individual spaces and of the building as a whole. As a result, the interior spaces provide a warm and inviting academic environment with ample opportunity for casual interaction between students, faculty, and staff.
The project has achieved LEED Silver Certification, the first for the W&L. It also received historic tax credits through the Commonwealth’s tax credit program.
THE COLLEGE OF WILLIAM & MARY’S (W&M) Alumni House Feasibility Study prepared by Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) consists of the programming and conceptual design of an addition to W&M’s historic Alumni House. The project will be a signature design for the University that respects the existing Alumni Center’s historic architecture as well as the college’s campus aesthetic. Sited prominently near the north campus entry and the football stadium, the building will serve as a welcome center for the W&M Alumni Association functions. The design accommodates a variety of events and is an addition to the nineteenth- century building, formerly known as the Bright House.
The G&HA study determined that a one-story addition was necessary to provide a 300-person banqueting space, as well as the requisite support areas. Additionally, it was evident that the existing building could be renovated to provide better efficiency and adjacencies of departments; as well as to create an over all aesthetic upgrade. The study included a cost estimate and architectural rendering to facilitate the Alumni Association’s fundraising efforts. This project is targeting LEED Silver certification.