TUCKER HALL is the easternmost of five buildings of the Colonnade at Washington and Lee University. The building was constructed in 1935 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building in the Washington and Lee Historic District. The building underwent a significant renovation in the early 1980’s when a new floor level for the University’s computing center was inserted in the original two-story law library space.
Glavé & Holmes’ scope included a complete interior rehabilitation of the building and re-establishing portions of the ornate two-story law library space. The non-historic sections of the second floor inserted in the 1980’s were completely removed with the original two-story volume space restored. The space was sub-divided to create a great hall and two classrooms. The historical pediment and pilasters were relocated to allow for a new elevator to provide handicap accessibility to all levels in the building. Tucker Hall houses offices for several departments in the University’s humanities curriculum, as well as conference, meeting, and seminar rooms, a kitchenette, lounges, and storage. The exterior work included minor repair of the existing fabric, and a new entry and stairway will be added over the areaway to the great hall from Stemmons plaza on the north side of the building.
FORT MONROE is a National Monument managed by the Fort Monroe Authority (FMA) in collaboration with the National Park Service (NPS). Glavé & Holmes Architecture recently completed the conversion of Building 138 at Fort Monroe into a new Visitor Center. Building 138, also known as Wisser Hall, was originally built in 1909 as a military library and is a contributing structure to the Fort Monroe National Historic Landmark District.
This project is a unique example of a State and Federal collaboration at this significant historic site. The Visitor Center welcomes visitors to Fort Monroe and orients them to the significant history of this property in addition to providing a welcome center for NPS staff to greet visitors to the National Monument. As a key component of the new permanent exhibit, this building tells the story of the arrival of the first African slaves in the continental U.S. to the site of Fort Monroe (Point Comfort) in 1619 and connects that story to the “Contraband of War” decision in 1861 that eventually led approximately 10,000 enslaved people to obtain their emancipation at Fort Monroe. The visitor center builds upon the additional historical exhibits in the Casemate Museum and entices visitors to the museum using the postern gate into the original masonry Fort. The new Visitor Center contains visitor facilities, a staffed visitor desk, exhibits, classrooms and archival storage space. A new addition makes the building fully accessible, by adding a new elevator and grade level entry for visitors.
ORIGINALLY DESIGNED BY Ralph Adams Cram, the 66,000 sf, 100-year North Court was built as a residential community for Westhampton Women’s College (now the University of Richmond). Still a popular housing option for students, the University of Richmond recently commissioned Glavé & Holmes Architecture to fully renovate the residence hall. Traditional hall style rooms and common baths will be replaced by semi-suite configurations, with expanded amenities for social gathering, study groups, and formal meetings. The original dining hall and large meeting spaces have been transformed to house the music department, with a recital hall, choir room and world music practice room attuned to meet the growing demands of the music department.
The interior spaces are warm, inviting and enduring in nature, as was the original intent of Cram’s multi-functional building. The renovation includes new building systems and modifications for code and accessibility compliance. The project also includes a comprehensive remediation of the building envelope to resolve water infiltration issues and increase energy efficiency. Glavé & Holmes Architecture utilized point cloud technology to capture existing conditions of the building and collaborated with the construction manager to develop a BIM model that aided in the design of the project.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE renovated the historic Wilson Hall for James Madison University. As the central, iconic building of the Quad, Wilson Hall is a recognizable landmark and has been the center of campus life for nearly a century. The 55,480-square-foot structure serves as home to the Department of History, housing faculty, administrative offices, student study space, and teaching space within a dynamic learning environment tailored to the pedagogy of the History Department. The renovated building creates a welcoming “Front Door” to the University that will be enjoyed by visitors as well as students and faculty across all disciplines. The design promotes social exchange among students while creating opportunities to showcase to the public and University community the projects and research initiatives of the History Department.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES, serving as the Interior Design consultant to John G. Waite Architects, was responsible for the furniture package on the renovation of the historic Rotunda at the University of Virginia. The design team worked to create spaces that were flexible and could accommodate the various events that take place throughout the week – from meetings to dinners to defending dissertations. The renovations allowed for new classrooms, meeting rooms, exhibit spaces, and study areas. G&HA’s designers transformed the function of the Dome room’s mezzanine into a tucked-away study space for students. The team also added in a new system for hanging rotating artwork in the oval rooms and assisted with the placement of the art and donor wall. The scope of work not only included the selection of furniture and fabrics of a timeless aesthetic and durable construction, but also included restoring existing furniture in the Rotunda. The large oval tables were adapted for connectivity and the 40 year old hand-knotted rugs were restored to their original beauty.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE assisted with the rehabilitation of the historic Heslep Amphitheatre at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
A long-cherished campus location whose construction dates from 1923, the Amphitheatre was repaired and upgraded to retain its attraction as a quiet wooded campus park, while continuing to serve as a flexible outdoor academic facility. In addition to a sensitive historic renovation, the inclusion of barrier-free access paths, seating, and newly constructed restroom facilities ensure that the Amphitheatre remains a rich piece of the University’s fabric.
The judicious and farsighted assessment, preservation, and enhancement of the wooded environs surrounding the Amphitheatre, including a natural perennial stream channel, are integral aspects of the project.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) adapted the former Rugby Road Administration Building, now O’Neil Hall, for new use as office space for senior administrative staff and other administrative functions. Originally constructed in 1924 for faculty housing, this historically significant structure is an example of the Jeffersonian classicism prominent during the early-twentieth century. O’Neil Hall is in a prominent location, offering views of the nearby mountains, and has a deep setback that provides for a gracious entrance. Goals for this project included preserving the historic and architectural significance and restoring the facility’s aesthetic, while upgrading the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. This project was completed in compliance with Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation and has achieved LEED Silver certification.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) collaborated with CMMI to renovate the Colonial Williamsburg Lodge, a structure originally built in 1938. The entire project was completed in four phases and includes 323 guest rooms, lobby, reception, business offices, and a gift shop. The new conference center includes a 12,000-square-foot ballroom, a 7,000-square-foot ballroom, conference rooms, banquet facilities, and a full service restaurant supported by a catering kitchen and back-of-house functions. The restored 1938 Lodge entry faces onto a landscaped arrival court, which welcomes guests and visitors in a gracious, pedestrian friendly manner. The new additions complement the original building, creating a complex of hospitality appropriately scaled to the character of Williamsburg.
G&HA worked with Mimi Sadler of Sadler & Whitehead Architects and the Department of Historic Resources on the submittal for State Rehabilitation Tax Credits. This process led to Part 2 approval of tax credits. As a result, all historic fabric was retained in the two original buildings while the new elements were contextually designed to respect the existing in scale and materials.
THE WILLIAM SMITH MORTON LIBRARY at the Union Presbyterian Seminary was created from the shell of Shauffler Hall, a castellated, Gothic-revival former chapel and classroom building, which was built in 1922 and designed by Baskervill and Son. Neo-Gothic architecture ties all of the buildings on this small campus together. Challenges included integrating new and old into a unified whole with a dramatic four-story atrium; cloaking new and flexible telecommunications technologies in comfortable and well-appointed reading rooms and study spaces; and creating a new scholastic center for the campus.
To accommodate the new library, the existing building was transformed into a larger structure encircling a light-filled atrium naturally lit by groin-vaulted louvers. The building has four levels and houses general collections, a variety of open and private study areas, a media resources library for audio and video collections, computerized automation areas, a children’s library, and technical and administrative offices.
Throughout the library, Christian and literary iconography are incorporated in the design of lamps, carpets, furnishings, and building elements.
PAYNE HALL (c. 1831), Washington Hall (c. 1824), and Robinson Hall (c. 1841) now known as Chavis Hall, are National Historic Landmarks and are at the center of the W&L National Register Historic District. They are the most historically significant buildings on campus. G&HA was commissioned to lead the design for a complete rehabilitation of all three buildings.
G&HA worked with the University to optimize use of space for faculty offices, work rooms, classroom space, and administrative offices, including the office of the President and executive staff. In addition to academic space, G&HA participated in the creation of an exhibition, which tells the story of George Washington’s role as a major early benefactor of the university.
G&HA followed the guidelines from the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation to preserve the major character and defining features in each building while upgrading all the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and life safety systems throughout. The interior environment was also significantly refreshed, creating a pleasant environment for students, faculty, and staff. The project received LEED Silver Certification and historic tax credits through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s tax credit program.