GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) was commissioned to adapt and reuse the former Rockefeller Folk Art Museum into a new spa and fitness center to serve the Williamsburg Inn and the Williamsburg Lodge. Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s goal to provide and enhance amenities in this vintage two-building complex serves the needs of tourists and business travelers. Extensive interior renovations were required to convert these structures into a 4-star luxury spa. Working in conjunction with WTS International Spa Consultants, the new spa includes 12 treatment rooms, expansive wet room amenities in all locker rooms, a salon, and fitness areas for equipment and group fitness. An existing sunken garden, pool, and other surrounding elements were incorporated into this renovation.
ORIGINALLY DESIGNED in 1903 by Philadelphia architect Charles Barton Keene, Montalto was adapted and expanded by Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) to provide multiple new functions including a meeting space, teleconferencing center, accommodations for visiting dignitaries, and an event space. The new facility has become the “upper campus” for the Monticello property; it houses the executive Board Room for the Thomas Jefferson Foundation and creates a world-class extension of the Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies.
To achieve the ambitious program, Montalto underwent a complete restoration of the interior and exterior and now features the design of two sympathetic additions. The front façade, restored to its historic appearance, showcases the distinctive Ludowici tile roof in its original color, restoration of the original stone masonry, and rehabilitation of the original historic windows. An entirely new landscape design has been incorporated to provide parking, outdoor terraces, and event space that blends into the natural splendor of the hilltop site overlooking Charlottesville. A state-of-the-art catering kitchen avails the center to be used for events, lectures, and weddings. New infrastructure and technology systems and the interior design and selection of all furniture, fixtures, and equipment complete the scope.
The project achieved LEED-Silver certification.
The Brody Jewish Center is a Hillel House located in the Rugby Road-University Corner historical district near the University of Virginia grounds. It was founded in 1941 and provides social programs, community service opportunities, educational seminars, and religious offerings for the University’s Jewish students. The historic building, named the Larry W. Berman Student Center, was originally a residence built in 1913-14 with an addition later built in 2011. Glavé & Holmes Architecture and Martin Horn were engaged to renovate a portion of the existing facility and provide improvements to the surrounding site.
The house was renovated to accommodate the current staff in a more functional office setting, attract students for studying and socializing, and increase student and staff interaction. The design is in compliance with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards and is expected to receive state historic tax credits.
NEWCOMB HALL is the westernmost of five buildings comprising the Colonnade that forms the heart of the Washington and Lee University (W&L) campus. As part of the Colonnade, the building is historically significant and, among other distinctions, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) was commissioned to renovate the original three-story academic building (c. 1882) to the south and the three-level addition with mezzanine and two story wings (c. 1937) to the north. During the programming phase, G&HA was charged with determining the capacity of the existing building and optimizing office and administrative spaces for various departments to allow for future flexibility and growth.
G&HA preserved most of the historic fabric of the existing building. The character and style was maintained on the exterior, while the interiors were upgraded to current standards within the limits of preserving and maintaining the historic integrity of the individual spaces and of the building as a whole. As a result, the interior spaces provide a warm and inviting academic environment with ample opportunity for casual interaction between students, faculty, and staff.
The project has achieved LEED Silver Certification, the first for the W&L. It also received historic tax credits through the Commonwealth’s tax credit program.
BUILT IN 1947 for Paul Green’s drama, “The Common Glory,” depicting the story of Revolutionary-era Williamsburg, the Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre was a hub of campus activity. When the play ended in 1976, the theatre began to deteriorate. Glavé & Holmes Architecture was selected by the College of William & Mary to restore Lake Matoaka for use by student groups as well as local performers and touring artists. The renovated facility has a new stage, the capacity to seat up to 1,200, ADA access ramps, underground utilities, a ticket office, and restrooms.
THE WILLIAMS SCHOOL of Commerce, Economics, and Politics at Washington and Lee University intended to take advantage of space in the vacated Co-op Building, now Holekamp Hall, to expand their nationally recognized program. For over nine decades, the Colonial Revival structure (c. 1910) has quietly stood in the shadow of the Williams School, serving the campus as a dining hall, and after a 1960s addition/renovation, as the campus bookstore. The plan created by Glavé & Holmes Architecture gives the building new life. A complete renovation from the inside out resulted in attractive faculty and staff offices as well as group study areas with both wired and wireless network access.
Design goals included preserving the building’s exterior character and reestablishing a vestige of the original double-height interior, while inserting a new mezzanine that provides the needed space to transform the building into a modern academic center. The interior design is integrated with the building’s architecture. The lobby provides an inviting welcome and reception, and balances the need for practicality and durability. The custom designed lanterns, lamps, and tables took cues from the Colonial Revival architectural motifs. Desired collaboration space doubles as an art gallery that showcases items from the university’s collection as well as travelling exhibits.
Other enhancements include a new elevator, mechanical systems tied into the campus central plant, and a fire suppression system.
THE ORIGINAL 1897 Spence Hall at Union Presbyterian Seminary’s Richmond campus was expanded in 1940 and 1970 and housed the campus library until 1997 when the library holdings were relocated to the then new William Smith Morton Library. In 2000, Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) was commissioned to rehabilitate the vacant Spence Hall building into a state-of-the-art facility for teaching and worship.
The G&HA design and plan left the exterior façade substantially unaltered, whereas the interior spaces feature a contemporary style with cantilevered floors and moveable walls to create maximum flexibility. The eight stories of the 1970s, self-supporting stacks were removed and the resulting awe-inspiring volume—now a 40ft x 40ft x 40ft worship and teaching space—is infused with daylight filtering through the existing windows.
The use of glass walls at the galleries and retention of original, decorative cast iron columns recreates the spatial experience of the historically significant 1897 building. A multi-media conference room and gallery of faculty offices are included within the original two-story library and reading room.
Other areas of the building are rehabilitated to provide state-of-the-art classrooms, offices, and building support facilities. Lecterns, a baptismal font, and altar table were custom designed for the project.
THE RESTORATION AND SITE DESIGN for this project converted a c.1897 Victorian residence, the home of Alexander Black, into a museum, gallery, and meeting facility. The new center serves to narrate the story of Blacksburg and functions as a community gathering place. Alexander Black was a prominent businessman, founder of the National Bank of Blacksburg, and the grandson of the founder of Blacksburg. To prevent its destruction resulting from development activity on Main Street, the Alexander Black house was acquired by the town in 2002 and moved to its current location.
Glavé & Holmes Architecture (G&HA) restored the exterior of the building to its late-nineteenth-century appearance and made necessary modifications and additions to the structure to provide for its new function as a museum and cultural center. The general design approach was to preserve historic fabric wherever possible. Interior reconfiguration of the original core was minimized, historically inappropriate modifications were removed, and a new contractual rear addition was constructed to provide for accessibility and egress to and from the two principal floors. Archival photographs, research, and data were used to determine the historic qualities and original existing materials were utilized as were feasible. The Town of Blacksburg successfully merged its resources with a private non-profit foundation to preserve a piece of local heritage for the community. The resulting project is pursuing LEED-Silver certification and is an excellent example of a public-private partnership.