SANDY HALL, CONSTRUCTED IN 1924, is located adjacent to Virginia Tech’s Drillfield at the core of the University, and is one of the earliest buildings on campus. The 10,960-square-foot building previously served as temporary swing space for academic programs in transition, without any major renovation since its initial construction. Glavé & Holmes designed a matched pair of contextual additions for updated circulation as well as a total interior renovation of the original building. The renovated building provides critical program space for the School of Neuroscience, created in 2016, which now calls the building home. The School of Neuroscience, the first school of its kind in the United States, sought an interior environment that would stimulate casual but innovative interactions among students and faculty, facilitating spontaneous discovery of new ideas.
THE VIRGINIA MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS engaged Glavé & Holmes for the complete rehabilitation of the Robinson House, originally erected ca. 1820 as a family farmhouse. The structure was converted into the R.E. Lee Camp No. 1 before it became part of the VMFA in 1964. The museum’s goal was to restore the facility and adapt it for use as a regional visitor center. The Robinson House was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2013 and is one of the oldest buildings in the Boulevard Historic District of Richmond. The reimagined building houses the Richmond Region Tourism Center, VMFA’s Human Resources Division, and a first-floor gallery featuring an exhibition about the story of the site from the 17th century to the present.
The project has added 3,200 additional square feet to the original 7,600- square-foot structure. The addition complements the former home’s style and introduces an accessible entrance. The expansion houses an elevator, stairway, and three floors of glass-enclosed porches that connect to the original structure. Interior work included restoring the space to reflect historical accuracies. New mechanical and electrical systems are among other building updates.
VIRGINIA TECH selected Glavé & Holmes for the renovation of three historic academic facilities on their campus, including Davidson Hall. This project rehabilitated the historic front section of Davidson Hall to provide a new administrative center for the Department as well as active learning classrooms.
The front section of Davidson Hall, covering 28,133 square feet, houses seven classrooms, in addition to multiple administrative and faculty offices for the Department of Chemistry. The building, which dates to the 1930s, received a full overhaul into a modern teaching-and-research building.
Visitors to Davidson Hall are welcomed by a new two-story atrium at the front entrance. The open atrium incorporates elements of both the traditional Collegiate Gothic and modern architecture styles seen throughout campus. Interior enhancements to the front section of the building include renovated classrooms, administrative and faculty offices, expanded A/V capabilities, modern furnishings, and a new collaborative scale-up classroom. The team fully renovated the building’s exterior and interior to remedy extensive egress and ADA deficiencies, deteriorated building systems, and flood plain vulnerability.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES was hired by Virginia Tech for the renovation of the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Building, originally constructed in 1899 as a YMCA building. The 14,314-square-foot building was one of the most outdated buildings on campus and received a comprehensive interior and exterior renovation. Interior upgrades include an elevator, new energy-efficient systems, modern furnishings, and enhanced technology. A 2,000-square-foot, four-story addition was added to the northwest side.
The renovation retained several historical features. A point of pride for the building’s original architecture was the discovery, during demolition, of a large archway. Through the years and the re-purposing of the building, previous efforts had enclosed the archway. Once rediscovered, the team restored and reinstalled the archway casework.
The building is now the administrative home to the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, housing both the Office of the Dean and the Center for Humanities.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE studied, designed, and administered the construction contract for an expansion to the Regattas Dining Hall at Christopher Newport University. The expansion consists of 11,000 square feet of new building footprint and will accommodate 300 additional seats. The new facility includes a grand two-story space with a 2,800 sf mezzanine that is accessed by grand stairs that lead from the West of the first floor. The mezzanine space offers a café style feel, with soft seating and a decorative guardrail. The expansion also included additional rest rooms, new point of sale locations, a salad bar, additional drink and silverware stations, and the relocation of the existing Mongolian Grill. The relocation of the Grill allowed for the creation of semi-private dining areas.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE collaborated with the College of William and Mary to create a dedicated home for the college’s Jewish community. The team worked on the design and construction of the new Shenkman Jewish Center, a 3,000-square-foot Hillel House, as programmed and conceptualized in a planning study. This community building is situated on two lots at the corner of Jamestown Road and Cary Street. The building had the unique requirement of not only adhering to the architectural character of the campus, but also fitting in to the residential context of the surrounding homes. The building’s first floor features a large and open meeting space, an intimate study lounge, a kosher kitchen, and restrooms. The second floor provides space for a Rabbi’s office, a conference room, and a restrooms. A wooden pergola on the patio in the rear of the building is planned for future construction to accommodate a religious festival and other events.
CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT UNIVERSITY (CNU) hired Glavé & Holmes to design a new Fine Arts Center adjacent to their Ferguson Center for the Arts. The three-story, 82,000 plus-square-foot center will house gallery and programming space for CNU’s fine arts program. The space will also be the new home for Newport News’ Peninsula Fine Arts Center, which will become part of CNU at the building’s completion and will take on a new name. The colonnade, which lines the front of the Ferguson Center, will be extended across the front side of the new building.
The highlight of the building features three tall, staggered glass domes, while the rest of the design fits contextually with the rest of the campus. The first floor houses an art history lecture hall, museum shop, a hands-on gallery, and studios for 3-D art disciplines. Part of the space between the new building and the Ferguson Center will be an outdoor museum space. The museum’s large gallery, the walls of which are two stories high, takes up most of the second and third floors. Moveable walls and structures will allow the space to be configured to display each exhibit. The second floor will also contain galleries for student work, classroom and lab spaces, including a dark room, photo lab, light lab, and digital art studios. The third floor will include drawing and painting studios, as well as studios only for upperclassmen. A cafe will provide food near the outdoor terraces overlooking the entryway.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE renovated the Breakfast Kitchen on the first floor, the Catering Kitchen and Storage Pantry in the basement, and five of the existing restrooms on the property. In the Breakfast Kitchen, the team retained this historic dumbwaiter and reconfigured the cabinetry to include a new refrigerator/freezer, cooktop, sink, microwave, and dishwasher. The designers developed two conceptual schemes for the Owner and moved forward with the one selected. Restroom updates included new window treatments, plumbing and cabinetry, light fixtures, and creating new opens or reconfiguring existing space.
THE VERITAS SCHOOL hired Glavé & Holmes Architecture for the renovation of North Hall (formerly DuBose Hall). This two-story structure, located at the head of the school’s central lawn, was built in 1952 as the administrative building for the Presbyterian School of Christian Education. Veritas desired to reinforce the building’s key position as the home of the Upper School, while creating dynamic learning environments and offices for Upper School students, teachers, and administrators. The building serves as a welcoming “front porch” to the campus and is the principal venue for ceremonies such as graduation. Distinctive interior improvements include a new two-story lobby lined with classical details executed in finely crafted plaster, featurimg Ionic pilasters incorporating the school’s lion mascot, a modillion cornice, and an elegant coved ceiling. Elaborate, classically designed door frames emphasize the importance of each classroom as the seat of learning. Additional components of this project included updates to all mechanical and safety systems, new restrooms, and ADA accessibility.
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE provided interior design services and an updated historic structures report for the rehabilitation of the historic Sweet Briar House at Sweet Briar College. The House, originally built in 1790, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as the residence of the College’s President. The three-story brick structure is approximately 10,400 square feet.
The scope of the interior design work included updating interior finishes within the first-floor public areas of the historic house, representing approximately 3,000 sf of area and the second floor public spaces and circulation corridors, representing approximately 3,000 sf of area. Work also included the reconfiguration of toilet rooms, kitchen and ancillary spaces in support of the public areas and structural analysis of the floor system in the second floor library. All interior work was completed according the Department of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. Treatments convey an appropriate look consistent with the resource’s period of significance. The overall goal was to create a coherent, visual appearance and interpretation for the first floor public areas consistent with the high stature of the House.