Brody Jewish Center
The Brody Jewish Center is a Hillel House located in the Rugby Road-University Corner historical district near the University of Virginia grounds. It was founded in 1941 and provides social programs, community service opportunities, educational seminars, and religious offerings for the University’s Jewish students. The historic building, named the Larry W. Berman Student Center, was originally a residence built in 1913-14 with an addition later built in 2011. Glavé & Holmes Architecture and Martin Horn were engaged to renovate a portion of the existing facility and provide improvements to the surrounding site.
The house was renovated to accommodate the current staff in a more functional office setting, attract students for studying and socializing, and increase student and staff interaction. The design is in compliance with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards and is expected to receive state historic tax credits.