Charlotte County Courthouse
Charlotte County, Virginia
THE CHARLOTTE COURT HOUSE DISTRICT is a national historic district located at the heart of the town of Charlotte Court House, the county seat of Charlotte County, Virginia. Since the early 1800s, this square has housed the County’s judicial system. The proceedings of these courts are housed in various historic buildings on the square, the paramount being the 1823 courthouse designed by Thomas Jefferson.
Following a feasibility study completed by Glavé & Holmes, the Circuit Court declared that a new courthouse be built to bring together the various courts and associated services housed in multiple buildings. The new courthouse is adjacent to the existing Clerk’s Office and across the public square from the historic Charlotte County Courthouse.
The 29,000 sf structure consists of two above grade floors and one partially below grade level. An enclosed pedestrian walkway connects the new courthouse to the existing Circuit Court Clerk, allowing secure public circulation from one security screening entrance. The courtroom and related spaces are located on grade and upper levels, while the lower level space includes holding cells, the sally port, and secure parking.