Colonial Williamsburg Lodge & Conference Center
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation,
GLAVÉ & HOLMES ARCHITECTURE (G&HA) collaborated with CMMI to renovate the Colonial Williamsburg Lodge, a structure originally built in 1938. The entire project was completed in four phases and includes 323 guest rooms, lobby, reception, business offices, and a gift shop. The new conference center includes a 12,000-square-foot ballroom, a 7,000-square-foot ballroom, conference rooms, banquet facilities, and a full service restaurant supported by a catering kitchen and back-of-house functions. The restored 1938 Lodge entry faces onto a landscaped arrival court, which welcomes guests and visitors in a gracious, pedestrian friendly manner. The new additions complement the original building, creating a complex of hospitality appropriately scaled to the character of Williamsburg.
G&HA worked with Mimi Sadler of Sadler & Whitehead Architects and the Department of Historic Resources on the submittal for State Rehabilitation Tax Credits. This process led to Part 2 approval of tax credits. As a result, all historic fabric was retained in the two original buildings while the new elements were contextually designed to respect the existing in scale and materials.