2325 Monument Avenue Rehabilitation

2325 MONUMENT AVENUE was designed by noted Richmond architect Duncan Lee in 1914 for J. P. Taylor. The 12,244 sf stucco-clad Mediterranean villa has a three-story central block with two-story wings and is capped with a tile roof. G&H provided professional historic rehabilitation and design services concerning the overall preservation of the house, as well as alterations to the first and second floors of the west service wing. A comprehensive Condition Assessment was conducted at the start of the project.

Waterford Mill Rehabilitation

THIS HISTORIC MERCHANT MILL in the National Historic Landmark village of Waterford was built in about 1830. It has been used since the 1940s as the site of a popular annual craft fair and as a symbol of the village’s history and integrity. Constant inundation of the foundation by water from Catoctin Creek, has taken a toll on the building over many years. The first phase of the project consisted of a full historic structure report, analyzing the building’s form and condition in the light of its historic significance, and outlining a series of recommendations for returning it to the best condition for long-term preservation. The second phase, recently completed, made the structural and architectural adaptations needed to bring the recommendations to completion as a fully interpreted, safe, and engaging part of Waterford’s heritage. Actions included lowering the wheel pit to a level that would permit water to readily exit to the creek, reconstructing the massive timber hurst frame that supports the milling equipment, bringing the building up to code, and making nearly invisible improvements to the structural system.